Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Very Long Night

Sometimes I need to write out on here what my thoughts are so that I don't keep whirling them around in my head. This is one of those times.
When TM and I first started dating, he found out that his 40 year old uncle had died of a heart attack leaving his wife who was four months pregnant and the mother of two little children. I attended the funeral and was witness to one of the saddest experiences I have ever seen. Since the day that he proposed and I agreed to be his wife, I have held a fear in my head that something like that would happen to him. Last night that fear took shape in a way that I never want to experience again.
First I need to say that he is OK now. I don't want to scare anyone while I vent out the feelings from today.
At midnight last night, TM shook me awake. He said something was wrong. My heart leaped into my throat as my first thought was what was wrong with the kids. He told me the kids were fine, but his whole body was experiencing a pins and needles feeling and he was having a hard time breathing. Immediately I thought of his uncle. He was able to walk, but was very shaky. I made him take an aspirin, called my mom and ran him to the hospital. I will never forget making him talk to me all the way there. I was so afraid that I was going to lose him on the way. We made it and they took him right back. They ran a bunch of tests on him, and most of them came back fine. He did have one that indicated he might have had a mild heart attack. We had to spend the next 16 hours in the hospital doing more tests and waiting for the results. I was scared, but knew that they could take care of him if he needed it. Sleep was short and very broken up. He was restless and anxious about what was going on. Finally after a stress test that said his heart was healthy, they released him. They don't know what caused the symptoms. They do know that his heart is strong now and whatever it was didn't cause any type of permanent damage. I told him that we were going to change our lifestyle and do whatever was necessary to not repeat this experience.
He is the love of my life and the thought that I could lose him rips my heart. Thank goodness for the blessing of modern medicine and a loving God who watched over the best man I have ever known. Thanks also to my mom and dad, sister and good friend who watched over our children so that we could take care of this. I couldn't have made it without them.

6 comments:

Bobbie said...

Im so glad he is ok..as an ekg tech i know how scary it can be when they rush someone back and everyone starts doing test all at once..glad all the test came back great!

Montana Blakes said...

I am so glad he is alright. I called Rodney at work right away. I have had the same fear, knowing about Dan. Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you. Rodney

ganelle said...

Glad he's doing so much better.

Say goodbye to french fries!

Vern said...

Here's to making sure that never happens again. And if you have to give up french fries, I think ganelle should have to too.

Angela and Jay said...

Saying a prayer and so thankful that he is okay.