Friday, November 14, 2008

Finally...

Outside of the Justice Center
We are done!
Answering the tough questions.
About to go in to the courtroom.
Today was the day that we finished the final step in Boo's adoption. Even though she was fully adopted in China, and a full US citizen, our county required us to re-adopt Boo. This meant more paper work, more fees, and more fingerprints. After all the paper chasing and three years and six months from the time we started this whole process, we are done! It was a very emotional day. We took my parents with us, as well as Gem and LM. It was incredible sitting in the courtroom with about ten other families anxiously awaiting the adoption of their children. For them it was the first time that they could be called a family in the legal sense. We went fourth, and the judge, smiling throughout asked the same questions of everyone. After each family was done those waiting broke out in a spontaneous applause. I was in tears as family after family took this last step. There were children from Africa, China and the US. There were babies and even a six year old. It was beautiful to see so much love in one room. I was moved again as the judge finally announced Boo's legal English name and presented her to our family. It was wonderful having my family there with us. What a blessing this process has been (I don't know that I would have said that yesterday!) finally completing our family. Thank you to everyone who has supported us along this very long journey.

6 comments:

ganelle said...

I wish I could have been there! Congrats!

Angela and Jay said...

Congratulations! It is a good feeling isn't it?!

Suzanne said...

I bet that judge loves this part of his job. I totally teared up for this post, Gin. I loved it. I'm so happy she's yours on so many levels now! But we all know she was yours long long ago! Just as much as your other two! :)

Tanya said...

Yay,for you that everything is completed.

Tanya

Bobbie said...

way to go..i must admit i havent started yet (eek)..we have to go before she starts school..you have motivated me..maybe its time to go pick up the paperwork
congrats

Natalie said...

Whoo Hoo!!! Congrats. Another milestone you won't forget. Lets get together soon and we can celebrate!