Friday, February 19, 2010

16 Years and Counting

Today is my 16th anniversary. As TM and I were up late last night talking about how far we had come and how much we had changed, it made me realize how truly lucky I am. Sixteen years ago I was a somewhat spoiled (yes mom, I admit it now), insecure person, who wasn't sure what I was going to do with my life. TM was a man filled with dreams of being an advertising big wig (I know, that's hard to picture). We got married, went on our honeymoon, and then began the real task of looking at our lives. I learned how to deal with having no money (mom, again thanks for the tips on regular oatmeal and tuna). We lived in an apartment that had a hole in the floor, almost as big as the entire bathroom, in which we covered with a rug so our downstairs neighbors couldn't look up at us. We didn't know what our future held, but we were quickly approaching it. Through the years we struggled in several different ways, but never on our decision to be married. We were best friends before we became a couple, and that strength of friendship has been our biggest plus. Today we live in a house that we love and are quickly moving to pay off. TM is a successful computer guy, and I am a thriving piano teacher (see all those lessons did pay off). We have three beautiful children, all who came into our lives to bless and test us in their own ways. We have figured out what is important, and what is not. We are no longer the struggling, insecure, misguided couple of the past. We have direction, strength and most of all a love that grows deeper and more fulfilling every year. I'm not sure why I was blessed to have such an incredible man be by my side through everything, and be a truly amazing father to our children, but I am forever grateful.




3 comments:

ganelle said...

Awwww! I'm glad you married him too!

happy #16!

Jody said...

Wow - I love your wedding picture. I don't remember the apartment with the hole in it!

Vern said...

Wait, YOU guys were the ones with the hole in the apartment floor? HEY! I remember you now!