Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Telluride and Fireworks in Montrose

We spent our last day driving around the western part of the loop to Telluride. This was a beautiful town tucked deep into the mountains. There was an outdoor art show that my mom and I enjoyed, but everyone else wasn't quite as interested in. They did like the french crepes we ate from the street vendor though. After that we headed to the free gondola ride that we took all the way up the mountain. I was a bit nervous swinging from a cable with my entire family, but we made it safe and sound to the top. This is definitely more of a winter town, but was very pretty. We had to take a picture of the kids in the Harry Potter type of phone booth. After riding up to the top, we took it back down and did a little shopping. We were planning on staying for the fireworks, but when I heard the mounted police officer saying that it was OK to smoke marijuana there, I started having second thoughts. The idea of driving around some precarious mountain roads, in the dark, with other drivers who were high not from the joy of fireworks, but controlled substances, made us change our minds. We headed to our hotel in Montrose instead to watch the fireworks there. We traveled the back roads of Montrose until we found a friendly local sheriff. He directed us to a spot on a hill directly under the show. It was amazing and we were able to watch it from our car. Aside from the ash falling all over our car, it was perfect.


We stayed up late that night playing games with Nana and Grandpa and left the next morning. It was so much fun, and honestly I think Boo's favorite part was playing the Pretty Pretty Princess game that my parents bought for her!


3 comments:

ganelle said...

pretty, pretty princess!?! classic!

Vern said...

poor ganelle, she's never even heard of pretty, pretty, princess. i've already owned it, used it, and given it to goodwill! Also, did you know cory's dad went to high school in montrose? you were pretty close to paradox during this trip!

Tanya said...

Nice pictures! I've never heard of the princess game. Might have to look into it for Gracie as she loves princess stuff!