Monday, January 31, 2011

January 2011

I have decided that I am going to journal once a month a catch up on everything. So everything will be done in bigger helpings, instead of small bite sized ones.

Tim's Birthday
1,2,3 This year for Tim's birthday, I decided to surprise him, with the help of my parents and kids. First off, the kids went in together to get him tickets to the Nuggets game. He is a pretty big basketball fan, but since we don't have cable anymore, he doesn't get to watch it very much. He asked last year that for this birthday we all go as a family. I wasn't sure it would happen, but my health is a lot better now, so off we went. B loved Rocky, the mascot the most. M was lucky enough to have friends to sit and hang out with, right next to us. Em liked texting her friends during the game, and was ready to go after the first quarter. I bribed the girls with ice cream to stay until Tim was ready to go. We all ended up having a good time, and the Nuggets smashed the Cleveland Cavilers. We finished up the night with ice cream at Sonic.

4,5,6 Tim thought that his birthday surprise was over with the game but there was more in store for him. My parents and I decided that we would surprise him with an iTouch. I wanted to do it just the right way so that he wouldn't expect a thing. I was teaching that Sunday in church on the Gift of the Holy Ghost. As part of my lesson I used the analogy of how can either admire the gift and comment on how pretty it is, or we can open it up and actually use it. I had asked Tim ahead of time to be the one I ask to open the "gift". I also also had a friend who was in the class set up to take the pictures, so he wouldn't see me pulling out a camera. Needless to say he was very surprised, and a bit embarrassed too! He loves his new iTouch and now just needs to find the time to download all the ap's he wants.

7 Since we celebrated most of his birthday ahead of time, on his actual day, I made him a big breakfast and my mom made him a full on dinner. She let everyone pick what they would like for their dinner, and Tim picked fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits and a berry salad. He loved it!

Live Audience Friday
8,9 The next big event of the month was that Ganelle, Laura and I got together with Kristy to be on the local radio program. It is called Live Audience Friday and basically entails waking up at 4 am to be downtown and picture worthy by 5:45 am. We each brought in some food to share and they supply an incredible catered breakfast. We talked with the dj's about what it takes to make a show. At the end we were all put on the air to play the game band or bogus. Fortunately Kristy made up a cheat sheet so we would win our Rivera Casino bag, and one ticket to the Butterfly Pavilion. We were a bit crazy, and Jane called us the crazy ladies on the back row. It was a bit intimidating to be on the radio, but after Jane called me a wilting flower, I bucked up and got my question right (unfortunately not on the cheat sheet!). It was so good getting together with the girls, and even more fun to do something so different.

Dinner with Nanna and Grandpa
10,11 Our normal tradition has been to go over to my parents' house every Sunday for dinner, but with our schedules becoming more and more crazy, it has been cut back to about twice a month. We wanted to spend more time with them, and B get upset every time we can't make it, so we asked them to come to our house for dinner. We started our Chinese New Year celebrations early with sweet and sour chicken, egg drop soup and fortune cookies for dessert. Most of all we spent the evening talking and enjoying each others company. It was nice to be able to cook for my mom, since she always spends so much time cooking for us.

New Preschool
12 To round out this full month, B started a new preschool today. We were looking at options for a pre-k program for the fall, since B misses the cut for kindergarten. B is all ready reading and writing and although she loved her Little Signers preschool, she was ready for something longer and more challenging. We put our names on the wait list for Little Blessings, since that was the process, and got a call last week that there was an opening. It came as an unexpected surprise, but B was very excited to go. It is a three day, five hour program and B said she is going to real school, just like Em and M. We had to find a Tinkerbell lunch box for her and everything. I know that she is so happy, but in truth, I wasn't ready to have her gone yet. She is my baby and I like having her home. I have a feeling that she is going to keep my on my toes all the way through, and that is just fine. I think her new teacher sensed my reluctance to leave this morning, and told me I could stay as long as I wanted to. I turned to B and asked her if she wanted me to stay, and she said, 'Nope! You can go now mom.' I guess the shy little one that cried when I left her anywhere is now gone.

No comments: