Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Eve, 2010


We have several different traditions that we do on Christmas Eve, that have come to be throughout the years. In fact, I think we may cut back a little bit next year, since I got pretty sick from the stress of it all. Anyway...We get together with my sister's family for a big Christmas Eve dinner at my parent's house. My mom goes all out on some fantastic food. My sister brings the green salad and veggies, while I bring my special juice punch and make a birthday cake for Jesus. I strive to make it different every year.
After dinner we do a Nativity Program. The kids all dress up in biblical costumes and act out the nativity story both in Bethlehem and in Zarahemlah. In between each set of scriptures, those that want to perform a musical piece. This year Boo sang 'Away in a Manger', LM played 'O Come All Ye Faithful' on the piano, TM and Gem did a duet of 'What Child is This?' with Gem singing and TM on the guitar, and I played the piano for everyone else. My nephew, brother in law, and little nephews, played the guitar, trombone, and sang, respectively. At the end of the program the wise men bring in one gift for everyone to open.Following the program, we sing 'Happy Birthday to Jesus' and have cake.Once the cake mess is all cleaned up, we do a special pj's scavenger hunt. This year I found a nativity bingo game for the kids to play. Once they got bingo, they received the clue as to where their pj's were hidden. It is fun watching the kids run all over the house to find them. They change into their pj's, take a picture in front of Nanna and Grandpa's tree and we head home. We live a half hour away, so we get to do a nice long drive and look at all the pretty Christmas lights while listening to Christmas songs on the stereo.
Once home we set out the cookies and milk for Santa and have the kids get ready for bed. This year they all piled into Gem's room for a sleep over. We set the jingle bell alarm on the door, so Santa would know if they tried to sneak out and get a peek at the presents. They watched Christmas movies while TM and I set out our presents. We have the Wise Men come and visit as well, and they leave gold, frankincense and myrrh presents for the kids to remind them of Jesus' gifts that beautiful night. Once we are done, TM and I watch the movie, 'The Nativity', which is my favorite telling of the Christmas story.It is a crazy, long, beautiful day that reminds us about why we celebrate this wonderful Christmas holiday. All of the kids said that they like Christmas Eve the best...me too!

No comments: